Do not guess when choosing your size to order!!!
It is very important to get accurate measurements for choosing your size. If you do not measure correctly, it will not fit. Formal and Bridal gowns traditionally run smaller in size than average street clothing. In addition, each collection/designer uses their own measurements for making their gowns. When purchasing a formal gown, it is important to remember that almost all gowns require some type of alteration for a perfect fit.
Getting the right size is easy! Just follow these steps:
- Have someone do the measuring, do not measure yourself
- Use a flexible seamstress measuring tape (available at most drug stores).
- If in doubt, call Elegant Gowns at 1-866-324-4749
- Make sure you are relaxed and arms down. It helps to be wearing the same shoes and undergarments that you will be using with your gown.
Bust - Measure around fullest part in unpadded bra (THIS IS NOT A BRA SIZE!) If possible wear the same or similar bra as you plan to wear under your gown.
Waist - This is the smallest part of your waist. Typically it’s an inch or so above your belly button. Also known as the natural waistline
Hips - This is the widest part of your hips, across the hipbone. Measurement is taken approximately 7” below the natural waistline. (Not critical for A-line or Ball Gown style skirts)
Hollow to Hem - Start the tape at the hollow, at the base of your neck. Measure down to your waist and then to where you want the hem of the dress. Be sure you are wearing the same heel height of shoes you will be wearing on your wedding day. Keep in mind if you plan to wear a crinoline for an A-line or Ball Gown that the skirt will be set several inches out. We strongly suggest having a professional seamstress or tailor take this measurement. If you measure incorrectly and the gown is too long or too short, it cannot be returned as it was specially made for you.
Take your measurements and compare to the correct size chart that is listed both below and on your gown’s detail page. You will want to use the size that is the closest to your measurements. If you are falling in between sizes, choose the larger size. It is easier to alter in than to alter out.
Please use the following measurements for custom ordered gowns:
SHORT/LONG SLEEVE GOWNS
- Arm Girth – Relax your arm, and measure around the biggest part of the upper arm.
- Forearm Girth – Measure around the largest part of your forearm.
- Length of Arm – Measure from shoulder to wrist with arm extended out. (long sleeve gowns)
If In Doubt-Call 1-866-323-4749 for Assistance
- Nipple-to-nipple measurement.
- Nape to Waist: Measure from the base of the neck at the back to the Natural Waist.
- Waist to Hem: Measure from your Natural Waist to where the hem is to be. Be sure you are wearing the same height heel you'll wear on your wedding day.
Timeless Collection (Bridal) Size Chart:
Timeless Collection (Flower Girl) Size Chart:
Divine Collection Size Chart:
Roberta Collections (Bridal, Bridesmaid, Junior Bridesmaid, and Flower Girl) Size Charts:
Calito Collection Size Chart: